"I don't see how a young American can vote for a Democrat."Um...excuse me, but....WHAT?!
As usual, he attacked Democrats for racking up "trillion-dollar annual deficits that [his] generation will never pay for."
Whatever the circumstances of the national debt are right now, it is a known fact that young people have consistently voted Democrat for many years now. Exit poll data show that in every presidential race since 1992, 18-29 year olds have voted overwhelmingly for Democrats. In 2008, 66% of 18-29 year olds voted for President Obama.
Things have changed since 2008 and enthusiasm is nowhere near what it was four years ago, but it is still not going to be enough to make the majority of young people start voting Republican. It's just not going to happen.
Young people vote Democrat because:
1. Democrats recognize the value of education for all citizens, regardless of socio-economic status and they have consistently made education a priority in their policy-making decisions. Democrats also recognize that access to education is directly linked to economic growth.
2. Democrats have made affordable health care a national priority.
3. Democrats recognize that science is real and global warming is real.
4. Democrats have supported small businesses and businesses that do not ship their jobs overseas.
5. Democrats supported and repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," finally giving equality to young, gay members of our military.
6. Democrats support women in getting fair pay. The Obama administration passed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act, ensuring that women get equal pay for equal work.
7. Democrats supported bringing and end to the Iraq war and did.
8. President Obama has fought for veterans rights and has introduced his Veterans Job Corps Initiative to ensure that veterans returning from war have jobs to come home to.
The list goes on and on. These are just a few reasons why young people vote Democrat.
If, like Rick Santorum, you think that it is "snobby" for Obama to think that every young American should have the chance to go to college, well then...you may want to think about voting Republican.